Citation(s) from the GunPolicy.org literature library
Australia. 1996 ‘Recording of Sales.’ Special Firearms Meeting - the 'Nationwide Agreement on Firearms'; Section 9. Canberra: Australasian Police Ministers' Council. 10 May
Recording of Sales
(a) that firearms sales be conducted only by or through licensed firearms dealers.
(b) that the following principles should underpin firearms dealer recording of firearms transactions:
* firearms dealers should continue to be obliged under penalty to ensure that purchasers are appropriately licensed for the firearm to be purchased;
* firearms dealers should be required to record and maintain details (type, make, calibre and serial number) of each weapon purchased or sold against the identity (name, address and licence number) of the seller or the purchaser;
* firearms dealers should be required to provide records to the National Register of Firearms through the State/Territory licensing authority;
* police personnel investigating a crime or checking the compliance of licensed gun dealers with recording responsibilities should have the right to inspect the records of licensed gun dealers without the need to give notice to the licensee; and
* special provisions may have to be put in place in those jurisdictions which have remote locations where licensed gun dealers may not be readily available (it may be possible, for instance, to authorise local police officers to certify sales/purchases in such circumstances).
(c) that jurisdictions legislate to allow the sale of ammunition only for those firearms for which the purchaser is licensed and that there be limits on the quantity of ammunition that may be purchased in a given period.
(d) on the purchase of ammunition, the relevant licence must be produced….
3. All jurisdictions to legislate to allow the sale of ammunition only for those firearms for which the purchaser is licensed and to place limits on the quantity of ammunition that may be purchased in a given period.
[The APMC Resolutions are also commonly known as the 'National Firearms Agreement,' or NFA].