Citation(s) from the GunPolicy.org literature library
Cross, Peter, Rick de Caris, Ettienne Hennop and Angus Urquhart. 2003 ‘Firearm Sales and Transfers - Botswana.’ The Law of the Gun: An Audit of Firearms Control Legislation in the SADC Region, pp. 17-18. London: SaferAfrica and Saferworld. 1 June
Arms and Ammunition Act, 1981
(2) No person shall sell, transfer or otherwise dispose of any arms or ammunition to any other person in Botswana unless
(a) that other person is a registered arms and ammunition dealer;
(b) that other person is the holder of an arms licence authorizing him to purchase, acquire or have in his possession the arms or ammunition in question, or shows that he is a person entitled by virtue of the provisions of this Act to purchase, acquire or have in his possession those arms or ammunition without holding an arms licence; or
(c) the transferor is a carrier or an employee of a carrier and the delivery of those arms or ammunition is in the ordinary course of his business or employment as such.
(3) Any person who contravenes any provision of this section shall be guilty of an offence and on conviction thereof shall be liable to a fine not exceeding P2000 or to a term of imprisonment not exceeding two years, or to both.
(2) Every person having in his possession any arms or ammunition shall take all reasonable precautions to ensure that the arms or ammunition is not at any time available to any person not lawfully entitled to possess them.
(1) Where a person is in possession of arms for which he has no further use or which have been rendered incapable of further use and wishes to destroy them, he shall surrender the arms to the licensing officer of the area in which he resides and the officer shall–
(a) destroy them by rendering them incapable of future use; or
(b) if the arms are of any possible value or use, with the authority of the person surrendering them, forward them to the Central Arms Registry for disposal in such manner as the Minister may direct.
(2) Any person surrendering any arms under subsection (1) shall at the same time surrender any licence, certificate or permit relating to them.