Citation(s) from the GunPolicy.org literature library
Giffords Law Center to Prevent Gun Violence. 2021 ‘Location Restrictions in New York.’ Guns in Public. San Francisco, CA: Giffords Law Center to Prevent Gun Violence. 27 September
Other Location Restrictions in New York
A New York license to carry a handgun is generally not valid in New York City without an additional permit issued by local law enforcement.
Firearm possession is generally prohibited:
- In state parks, except for hunting purposes where permitted;
- On the grounds of a residential child care facility;
- At any facility of the New York Department of Mental Hygiene, or any residential facility that has an operating certificate issued by the Department; or
- At any facility operated or licensed by the Office of Mental Health [or] the Department of Mental Hygiene.
New York has no laws prohibiting firearms in the following places, although administrative regulations may apply:
- Bars and other places where alcoholic beverages are sold or served;
- Places of worship;
- Sports arenas;
- Gambling facilities; or
- Polling places…
[Editor's note: The Giffords Law Center to Prevent Gun Violence regularly updates its webpages with new data as US gun regulation evolves state by state. For the most up-to-date information on US gun laws, please refer to the Giffords URL below]