Citation(s) from the GunPolicy.org literature library
LCPGV. 2020 ‘Summary of State Laws Regulating Firearms Dealers - Security Measures.’ Firearms Law Database - Dealer Regulations Policy Summary. San Francisco, CA: Giffords Law Center to Prevent Gun Violence. 20 September
Summary of State Laws Regulating Firearms Dealers
States that Require Security Measures
District of Columbia(65)
Description of State Laws Regulating Gun Dealers
Security Measures: Nine states - Alabama, California, Connecticut, Massachusetts, Minnesota, New Jersey, Pennsylvania, Rhode Island, and West Virginia require firearms dealers to utilize security measures to reduce the risk of theft from their premises. Dealers in the following states may not display firearms, ammunition and/or advertising so that they can readily be seen from the outside by the public - Alabama, California and Rhode Island (handguns, imitation handguns and handgun advertising), Massachusetts (firearms), New Jersey (firearms and imitation firearms), Pennsylvania (handguns or short-barreled rifles or shotguns), West Virginia (firearms and ammunition). In California and Minnesota, dealers must store firearms in a specified manner after business hours. In Connecticut, businesses that sell firearms at retail must have burglar alarms that are connected directly to the local police department. New Jersey dealers also must install a state-approved theft detection and prevention system and implement security and safe storage measures.(107)
62) Ala. Code § 13A-11-79.
63) Cal. Penal Code § 12071(b)(4), (14).
64) Conn. Gen. Stat. § 29-37d.
65) D.C. Code Ann. § 7-2504.07.
66) Mass. Gen. Laws ch. 140, § 123.
67) Minn. Stat. § 624.7161.
68) N.J. Stat. Ann. § 2C:58-2(a), N.J. Admin. Code §§ 13:54-3.11, 13:54-6.2-13:54-6.5.
69) 18 Pa. Cons. Stat. Ann. § 6113.
70) R.I. Gen. Laws § 11-47-40(b).
71) W. Va. Code § 61-7-10(a)(1).
107) Note that South Carolina requires applicants for a dealers license to post a bond, a cash deposit, or deposit of other sureties, worth ten thousand dollars. S.C. Code Ann. § 23-31-150.