Citation(s) from the GunPolicy.org literature library
Giffords Law Center to Prevent Gun Violence. 2020 ‘Firearm Prohibitions in Michigan.’ Who Can Have a Gun. San Francisco, CA: Giffords Law Center to Prevent Gun Violence. 2 December
Prohibited Purchasers Generally in Michigan
Federal law prohibits certain persons from purchasing or possessing firearms, such as felons, certain domestic abusers, and certain people with a history of mental illness.
Michigan prohibits any person convicted of a felony or "specified felony" as defined under state law from possessing, using, transporting, selling, purchasing, carrying, shipping, receiving or distributing a firearm, if that person has not yet satisfied statutory requirements to restore his or her ability to own or possess a firearm, including serving any applicable sentence or conditions for parole, and paying any relevant fines.
Michigan prohibits a handgun seller from knowingly selling a firearm or ammunition to such a person, or to a person under indictment for a felony.
Michigan also prohibits issuance of a handgun purchase license to any person local law enforcement has probable cause to believe would be a threat to themselves or others, or would commit a crime with the handgun. A person may qualify for a license if he or she:
- Is not subject to any of several specified court orders or dispositions;
- Is 18 years of age or older…
- Is a U.S. citizen and a legal resident of Michigan;
- Does not have a felony or other specified criminal charge pending against him or her;
- Is not prohibited from possessing, using, transporting, selling, purchasing, carrying, shipping, receiving, or distributing a firearm under state law; and
- Has not been adjudged "insane" or "legally incapacitated," or is not under an order of involuntary commitment in an inpatient or outpatient setting due to mental illness…
[Editor's note: The Giffords Law Center to Prevent Gun Violence regularly updates its webpages with new data as US gun regulation evolves state by state. For the most up-to-date information on US gun laws, please refer to the Giffords URL below]