Citation(s) from the GunPolicy.org literature library
South Africa. 2000 ‘Licence to Possess Firearm in Collection.’ Firearms Control Act 2000; Chapter 6 (Sections 17, 19). Cape Town: Parliament of the Republic of South Africa. 1 January
Licence to possess firearm in private collection
17. (1) (a) A firearm which may be possessed in a private collection is any firearm approved for collection by an accredited collectors association.
(b) Despite section 4, such prohibited firearm as may be prescribed may be licensed under this section.
(3) The holder of a licence issued in terms of this section—
(a) must store the firearm at the place specified in the licence; and
(b) may only display the firearm in accordance with such safety measures as may be prescribed.
(4) A firearm in respect of which a licence has been issued in terms of this section may be used where it is safe to use the firearm and for a lawful purpose.
Licence to possess a firearm, and permit to possess ammunition, in public collection
19. (1) The Registrar may issue a licence to possess a firearm in a public collection, a permit to possess ammunition in a public collection, or both such permit and licence, to a public collector.
(2) Despite section 4—
(a) such prohibited firearm as may be prescribed may be licensed under this section; and
(b) the holder of a permit issued in terms of this section may possess projectiles and cartridges manufactured to be discharged by prohibited firearms if the propellant, high explosive and primer of the projectiles and cartridges have been removed or deactivated.
(3) The holder of a permit contemplated in subsection (1) may not possess more than 200 rounds of ammunition of any particular calibre unless the Registrar approves the possession of a higher number in writing.
(4) A firearm in respect of which a licence has been issued in terms of this section and ammunition in respect of which a permit has been issued in terms of this section, may only be displayed—
(a) in an accredited museum; and
(b) in accordance with such safety measures as may be prescribed.
(6) The holder of a permit issued in terms of this section may not discharge any ammunition in his or her collection.