Citation(s) from the literature library

Giffords Law Center to Prevent Gun Violence. 2023 ‘Large Capacity Magazines in Massachusetts.’ Hardware & Ammunition. San Francisco, CA: Giffords Law Center to Prevent Gun Violence. 1 February

Relevant contents

Large Capacity Ammunition Magazines in Massachusetts

Massachusetts prohibits the sale, offering for sale, transfer or possession of a large capacity feeding device unless such device was lawfully possessed on September 13, 1994. Under Massachusetts law, a "large capacity feeding device" is defined as:

"(i) a fixed or detachable magazine, box, drum, feed strip or similar device capable of accepting, or that can be readily converted to accept, more than ten rounds of ammunition or more than five shotgun shells; or
(ii) a large capacity ammunition feeding device as defined in federal law as it appeared on September 13, 1994 (that federal statute expired on September 13, 2004). This does not include "an attached tubular device designed to accept, and capable of operating only with, .22 caliber ammunition."

The Massachusetts Secretary of Public Safety ("Secretary") is required to compile and publish a roster of firearms and feeding devices that he or she determines meet these definitions. The Secretary may amend the roster upon his or her own initiative, upon the initiative of the Gun Control Advisory Board, or upon the petition of any person seeking to place a weapon on or remove a weapon from the roster. Weapons and feeding devices not included on the roster may still be considered large capacity firearms or feeding devices if they fit within these definitions…

[Editor's note: The Giffords Law Center to Prevent Gun Violence regularly updates its webpages with new data as US gun regulation evolves state by state. For the most up-to-date information on US gun laws, please refer to the Giffords URL below]

ID: Q8642

As many publishers change their links and archive their pages, the full-text version of this article may no longer be available from the original link. In this case, please go to the publisher's web site or use a search engine.