Citation(s) from the GunPolicy.org literature library
Giffords Law Center to Prevent Gun Violence. 2020 ‘Guns in Schools in Mississippi.’ Guns in Public. San Francisco, CA: Giffords Law Center to Prevent Gun Violence. 5 December
Guns in Schools in Mississippi
Mississippi prohibits any person from carrying, whether openly or concealed, any firearm on educational property. Exceptions include:
- Persons who are not students, possessing a firearm within a motor vehicle which he or she does not brandish, exhibit or display in any careless, angry or threatening manner;
- A firearm used solely for educational or school-sanctioned ceremonial purposes, or used in a school-approved program conducted under the supervision of an adult whose supervision has been approved by the school authority; and
- Competitors while participating in organized shooting events.
In addition, Mississippi makes it a felony for "any person to cause, encourage or aid a minor who is less than eighteen (18) years old to possess or carry, whether openly or concealed, any gun, rifle, pistol or other firearm of any kind … on educational property."
Mississippi requires that any student who possesses a firearm in any school be automatically expelled for a calendar year by the superintendent or principal of the school in which the student is enrolled. The superintendent of the school is authorized to modify the period of time for such expulsion on a case-by-case basis.
Mississippi prohibits concealed carry licenses from possessing a concealed handgun in any:
1) elementary or secondary school facility;
2) any junior college, community college, college or university facility unless for the purpose of participating in any authorized firearms-related activity; or
3) any school, college or professional athletic event not related to firearms…
[Editor's note: The Giffords Law Center to Prevent Gun Violence regularly updates its webpages with new data as US gun regulation evolves state by state. For the most up-to-date information on US gun laws, please refer to the Giffords URL below]