Citation(s) from the literature library

USA. 2012 ‘"Record Keeping" on Manufacture, Holding and Transfer.’ National Report of the United States of America on its Implementation of the United Nations Programme of Action to Prevent, Combat and Eradicate the Illicit Trade in Small Arms and Light Weapons in All Its Aspects (UNPoA), p. 6. New York, NY: Permanent Mission of the United States to the United Nations. 3 August

Relevant contents

Section II, para 9: "Record Keeping" on Manufacture, Holding and Transfer

U.S. Laws and Policies Supportive of the UN POA

Commercial manufacturers are required to maintain records of the manufacture, export and other acquisition of firearms. Licensed manufacturers must maintain permanent records of firearms manufactured. Licensed importers of all defense articles must maintain records for 6 years and exporters and brokers of defense articles and defense services must maintain records for 5 years. Certain firearms (e.g. machine guns) must be registered under the NFA at the time of manufacture or transfer. All licensed dealers must maintain Firearms Transaction Records of all sales and transfers (Form 4473) of firearms for not less than 20 years. If dealers go out of business, they are required to submit these records to ATF for permanent retention.

Under the AECA, manufacturers, exporters, temporary importers, and brokers of defense articles and services, including SALW, must register with DOS (Form DS-2032). Records must be maintained by each registrant in readable form and available at all times for review by DOS Directorate of Defense Trade Controls (DDTC) for five years from the last event or expiration

[AECA = Arms Export Control Act; ATF = Department of Justice, Bureau of Alcohol, Tobacco, Firearms and Explosives; DOS = Department of State; NFA = National Firearm Act; SALW = Small Arms and Light Weapons]

ID: Q6783

As many publishers change their links and archive their pages, the full-text version of this article may no longer be available from the original link. In this case, please go to the publisher's web site or use a search engine.