Citation(s) from the GunPolicy.org literature library
Estonia. 2002 ‘Registration of Weapons.’ Weapons Act (Riigi Teataja I 2001, 65, 377) [with amendments to June 2004]; Section 33 (Chapter 5). Tallinn: Riigi Teataja (State Gazette). 31 March
§ 33. Registration of Weapons
(1) A person who has acquired a weapon is required to register the weapon at the police prefecture of the residence or location of the person within seven working days as of the date on which the weapon was acquired or, if the weapon was acquired in a foreign state, as of the date of the weapon entering Estonia.
(2) A weapon shall be presented for registration together with an acquisition permit in which the seller of the weapon has entered information concerning the weapon being sold if the weapon has been purchased from a person who holds an activity licence for the sale of weapons.
(3) If a weapon is acquired in any other manner permitted by this Act, the acquisition permit and a document in proof of the legality of the acquisition shall be presented for registration of the weapon. An acquisition permit is not required for the registration of a weapon which is succeeded to, found, in joint ownership, or specified in subsection 34 (9) of this Act.
(4) Upon the registration of a weapon, it shall be verified that the information entered on the acquisition permit or other document in proof of the legality of its acquisition corresponds to the weapon.
(5) Upon the registration of a weapon, a register book shall be prepared concerning each owner or possessor of the weapon (hereinafter weapon register book).
(6) A weapon register book shall be maintained at the police prefecture of the residence or seat of the owner or possessor of the weapon. If the weapons are located at the place of business of the owner or possessor of the weapon and if the place of business is located in the service area of another police prefecture, a weapon register book shall also be maintained at the police prefecture of the place of business of the owner or possessor.
(7) All documents concerning application for, issue of, refusal to issue, extension, suspension and revocation of the acquisition permit and weapons permit, shall be entered in the weapon register book, as well as documentation concerning the acquisition, conversion and transfer of the weapon, verification that the owner or possessor of the weapon meets the requirements provided for in this Act or legislation issued on the basis thereof and inspection of the storage conditions for the weapon.
(8) During the time a weapon is being registered, the owner or possessor of the weapon may deposit the weapon at a police prefecture or store the weapon at the residence or seat of the person pursuant to the procedure and under the conditions established by this Act.