Citation(s) from the GunPolicy.org literature library
Estonia. 2002 ‘Type Approval of Weapons and Ammunition.’ Weapons Act (Riigi Teataja I 2001, 65, 377) [with amendments to June 2004]; Section 23 (Chapter 3). Tallinn: Riigi Teataja (State Gazette). 31 March
§ 23. Type Approval of Weapons and Ammunition
(1) Type approval of weapons and ammunition (hereinafter type approval) is an act by which it is determined whether a particular model of weapon or cartridge is included in the list of weapons and ammunition permitted to be used for civilian purposes.
(2) Models of weapons and cartridges in commerce in Estonia, manufactured in Estonia and imported into Estonia and their modifications, as well as models of weapons converted in Estonia and their modifications are subject to type approval. Truncheons and weapons in unrestricted commerce are not subject to type approval.
(3) During type approval, a decision is taken as to whether a particular model of weapon or cartridge or its modification is permitted in commerce, and its classification is determined on the basis of the provisions of Chapter 2 of this Act.
(4) Type approval shall be performed by agencies authorised by the Government of the Republic (hereinafter approval authorities).
(5) Type approval shall be performed on the basis of an application by the person who manufactured the weapon or cartridge, converted the weapon or imported the weapon or cartridge to Estonia.
(6) An approval authority shall perform type approval of weapons in commerce on the basis of corresponding documentation and technical literature.
(7) A model of weapon or cartridge or a modification thereof which has been type approved shall be entered in the register of service and civilian weapons.