Citation(s) from the GunPolicy.org literature library
St Lucia. 2003 ‘Application for and Grant of Licence.’ Saint Lucia Firearms Act No.9 of 2003; Part II (Section 4). Castries: House of Assembly and the Senate of Saint Lucia. 20 January
Application for and Grant of Licence
4.— (1) A person may apply to the appropriate authority in the form prescribed for any licence referred to in Part TR.
(2) An applicant for a licence shall at the time of making the application, supply three recent passport size photographs of himself or herself, one of which shall be affixed to the licence at the time of issue.
(3) An application under subsection (1) shall be accompanied by the prescribed fee.
(4) The appropriate authority may subject to subsection (8), section 11, 17(2), 18(2), 19(2) or 20(2) as the case may be, grant or renew a licence if the appropriate authority is satisfied —
(a) that the applicant —
(i) is qualified or competent to hold the licence applied for and has completed a course in firearms and ammunition safety;
holds a certificate of competence, obtained from a designated institution, a copy of which must be attached to the application;
has good cause for purchasing, acquiring or for having in his or her possession the firearm or ammunition in respect of which the application is made;
(iv) is not a prohibited person under section 11;
(v) has a good knowledge of the law in force in Saint Lucia relating to firearms and ammunition.
(b) that the grant of the licence will not endanger the public or the peace; and
(c) that the applicant has made adequate provision for keeping the firearm and ammunition in a secure place when not in use.
(d) in the case of a firearm user licence, an estate gun licence, a sporting firearm licence or a firearm user (employee) sub-licence, the applicant has previously been granted a provisional licence or has been exempted from the requirement of a provisional licence by the appropriate authority on the basis of having previously held a licence.
(5) Subject to section 15(2), 17(5) or 18( 11), where an applicant is desirous of possessing more than one firearm, he or she shall in accordance with this section, submit an application in respect of each such firearm.
(6) Notwithstanding anything contained in this Act, a person shall not be granted a licence unless the appropriate authority is satisfied that the person has a justifiable need to own a firearm.