Citation(s) from the GunPolicy.org literature library
Northern Territory. 1997 ‘Records and Returns to be Kept by Dealers.’ Firearms Act 1997 (Reprint, as in force at 1 May 2016); Section 18. Darwin: Northern Territory Government. 13 March
18. Records and returns to be kept by dealers
(1) The holder of a firearms dealer licence must keep and maintain a register containing the prescribed particulars of all firearms and firearm parts possessed under the licence.
(2) The holder of a firearms dealer licence must, not later than 24 hours after a sale or purchase of a firearm or firearm part by the dealer, record in the dealer's register the prescribed particulars of the firearm or firearm part and the prescribed details of the sale or purchase.
(3) The holder of a firearms dealer licence must, not later than 7 days after a transaction involving the sale, purchase or storage of a firearm or firearm part, give the Commissioner a record of the transaction in the approved form.
(4) The holder of a firearms dealer licence must, on demand by police officer:
(a) produce a record required to be kept under this section to the officer and permit the officer to inspect and make copies of any entries in it; and
(b) provide to the officer any information in the holder's possession with respect to any firearm or firearm part that has been purchased or received under the authority of the firearms dealer licence, or that the person has in his or her possession or has sold or otherwise transferred under the authority of the licence
(5) A person must not alter an entry in a record required to be kept under this section other than by interlineation or striking out that does not make the entry illegible.
(6) The holder of a firearms dealer licence must, not later than 24 hours after becoming aware of the loss, theft or destruction of a firearm or firearm part that was in the possession of the holder, notify the Commissioner of the loss, theft or destruction in the approved form.
(7) The holder of a firearms dealer licence must ensure that a record required by this Act to be kept by the holder is kept in a place of safe keeping.
(8) The holder of a firearms dealer licence must, if written notice is served on the holder by the Commissioner, provide to the Commissioner, not later than the time specified in the notice and in the form provided by the Commissioner, the particulars relating to the purchase, receipt, sale or possession by the holder of any firearms or firearm parts as are required by the notice.
Maximum Penalty: 20 penalty units or imprisonment for 6 months.