Citation(s) from the literature library

New South Wales. 2006 ‘Licences or Permits Held by Government Agencies and Their Employees.’ Firearms Regulation 2006 (2006-512, as at 1 January 2014); Section 26. Sydney: New South Wales Government. 1 September

Relevant contents

26. Licences or permits held by government agencies and their employees

1) If a licence or permit is held by a government agency authorising the agency to possess firearms, and persons who are authorised by separate licences or permits to possess or use firearms for business or employment purposes are employed in or by the agency, the agency (or its chief executive officer) must:
(a) except as provided by this clause, keep in safe storage all firearms authorised to be possessed by those employees when they are not on duty, and
(b) in addition to the requirements set out in Part 4 of the Act, ensure that any firearm required to be kept in safe storage is secured in such a manner as would reasonably prevent its removal otherwise than by an authorised employee, and
(c) must not allow any firearm in the agency's possession (including any firearms that have been acquired by the agency) to be possessed or used by an employee who is not authorised to possess or use the firearm by a licence or permit issued to the employee, and
(d) must notify the Commissioner in writing within 7 days if any employee (unless employed on a casual basis) who is the holder of a licence or permit authorising possession or use of a firearm ceases to be employed in or by the agency, and
(e) ensure that each firearm in respect of which each employee holds a licence or permit is inspected once every 3 months by some competent person to ascertain its working condition, and
(f) must cause each such firearm to be serviced at least once a year by an appropriately qualified person.

Maximum penalty: 50 penalty units…..

['The Act' means the Firearms Act 1996]

ID: Q2590

As many publishers change their links and archive their pages, the full-text version of this article may no longer be available from the original link. In this case, please go to the publisher's web site or use a search engine.