Citation(s) from the GunPolicy.org literature library
Australia. 1996 ‘Basic Licence Requirements - Licence Categories.’ Special Firearms Meeting - the 'Nationwide Agreement on Firearms'; Section 4. Canberra: Australasian Police Ministers' Council. 10 May
Basic Licence Requirements - Licence Categories
Licence Category A:
- air rifles;
- rimfire rifles (excluding self-loading);
- single and double barrel shotguns.
Licence Category B:
- muzzle-loading firearms;
- single shot, double barrel and repeating centre fire rifles;
- break action shotguns/rifle combinations;
Licence Category C (prohibited except for occupational purposes)
- semi automatic rimfire rifles with a magazine capacity no greater than 10 rounds;
- semi automatic shotguns with a magazine capacity no greater than 5 rounds;
- pump action shotguns with a magazine capacity no greater than 5 rounds.
Licence Category D (Prohibited, except for official purposes)
- self-loading centre fire rifles designed or adapted for military purposes or a firearm which substantially duplicates those rifles in design, function or appearance.
- non-military style self-loading centre fire rifles with either an integral or detachable magazine;
- self-loading shotguns with either an integral or detachable magazine and pump action shotguns with a capacity of more than 5 rounds;
- self-loading rim-fire rifles with a magazine capacity greater than 10 rounds.
Licence Category H: (Restricted)
- all handguns, including air pistols
[The APMC Resolutions are also commonly known as the 'National Firearms Agreement,' or NFA].