Citation(s) from the literature library

Canada. 2012 ‘Brokering Registration and Authorisation.’ National Report of Canada on its Implementation of the United Nations Programme of Action to Prevent, Combat and Eradicate the Illicit Trade in Small Arms and Light Weapons in All Its Aspects (UNPoA) and the International Tracing Instrument (ITI); Section 4, pp. 14-15. New York NY: Permanent Mission of Canada to the United Nations. 1 January

Relevant contents


8.2 Does your country require registration of SALW brokers? NO

Not every individual who buys or sells SALW must be registered as a broker. However, if the SALW that are the subject of a brokering arrangement come into the possession of a business on Canadian soil, the principals would be registered as part of the firearms business licensing requirements.

In addition, persons who conduct business in Canada that involves the examination, possession, and/or transfer of controlled goods and/or controlled technologies must be registered with Canada's Controlled Goods Program in order to comply with Canada's Defence Producion Act (DPA) and Controlled Goods Regulations (CGR).1

The definition of controlled goods includes prohibited firearms as defined in paragraph (c) of the definition "prohibited firearm" in subsection 84(1) of Canada's Criminal Code,2 smooth-bore weapons with a calibre of 20 mm or more, weapons or armaments with a calibre greater than 12.7 mm (calibre 0.50 inches), and any weapon specifically designed for military use and listed in the Schedule (section 35) of the Defence Production Act (DPA).3

8.3 Does your country require a licence, permit or other authorisation for each brokering transaction? NO

[SALW = Small Arms and Light Weapons]

ID: Q11004

As many publishers change their links and archive their pages, the full-text version of this article may no longer be available from the original link. In this case, please go to the publisher's web site or use a search engine.