Citation(s) from the Gun Policy News media archive
Gun Owners Being Urged to Bite Bullet
5 May 2013
About 200 of the more than 4500 guns handed in under the [Queensland firearm] amnesty so far were destroyed yesterday at Nerang police station on the Gold Coast.
The guns were put through a mobile bending and crushing machine before being thrown into a dumpster for even more mangling.
With the six-month amnesty due to finish on April 30, Inspector Peter Assfalg… said 80 per cent of guns handed in had been registered and returned to existing weapons licence holders, with the remaining 20 per cent surrendered for destruction.
Insp Assfalg said he expected about 7000 guns to have been handed in by the end of the month. About 10,500 guns were handed in under the 2004 amnesty but that ran for six months…