Citation(s) from the GunPolicy.org literature library
Giffords Law Center to Prevent Gun Violence. 2021 ‘Location Restrictions in Florida.’ Guns in Public. San Francisco, CA: Giffords Law Center to Prevent Gun Violence. 6 May
[Editor's note: The Giffords Law Center to Prevent Gun Violence regularly updates its webpages with new data as US gun regulation evolves state by state. For the most up-to-date information on US gun laws, please refer to the Giffords URL below]
Other Location Restrictions in Florida
A Florida license to carry a concealed firearm does not authorize a person to openly carry a handgun or carry a concealed firearm into:
- Any place of nuisance;
- Any police, sheriff, or highway patrol station;
- Any detention facility, prison, or jail;
- Any courthouse or courtroom, except that nothing precludes a judge from carrying a concealed weapon or determining who may carry a concealed weapon in his or her courtroom;
- Any polling place;
- Any meeting of the Legislature or a committee thereof;
- Any meeting of the governing body of a county, public school district, municipality, or special district;
- Any portion of an establishment licensed to dispense alcoholic beverages for consumption on the premises, which portion of the establishment is primarily devoted to such purpose;
- Inside the passenger terminal and sterile area of any airport, provided that no person shall be prohibited from carrying any legal firearm into the terminal, if the firearm is encased for shipment for purposes of checking as baggage to be lawfully transported on any aircraft; or
- Any place where the carrying of firearms is prohibited by federal law…
Florida law prohibits introducing firearms into, and sending firearms from, any hospital providing mental health services; it also prohibits transmitting firearms to any patient of such a hospital outside the grounds of the hospital.
Finally, Florida prohibits possession of a concealed firearm within a pharmacy, but this law explicitly exempts concealed firearms licensees.
Florida has no statute prohibiting firearms in the following places, although administrative regulations may apply:
- Places of worship;
- Sports arenas; or
- Gambling facilities.