Citation(s) from the GunPolicy.org literature library
Giffords Law Center to Prevent Gun Violence. 2021 ‘Guns in Schools in Oklahoma.’ Guns in Public. San Francisco, CA: Giffords Law Center to Prevent Gun Violence. 26 February
Guns in Schools in Oklahoma
Oklahoma prohibits possession of a firearm on any public or private school property or while in any school bus or vehicle used by any school for transportation of students or teachers. "School property" is defined as any publicly or privately-owned property held for purposes of elementary, secondary or vocational-technical education, and does not include property owned by public school districts or private educational entities where such property is leased or rented to an individual or corporation and used for purposes other than educational.
Exceptions to this prohibition include:
- Guns designed for hunting kept in a privately owned vehicle and properly stored as required by law, or a handgun carried in a vehicle pursuant to a valid state handgun license, provided such vehicle is driven onto school property only to transport a student to and from school and such vehicle does not remain unattended on school property; or
- Guns used in the Oklahoma Department of Wildlife Conservation certified hunter training education course or any other hunting, fishing, safety or firearms training courses, or a recognized firearms sports event, team shooting program or competition, or living history reenactment, provided the course or event is approved by the principal or chief administrator of the school where the course or event is offered, and provided the weapon is properly displayed or stored as required by law pending participation in the course, event, program or competition.
In Oklahoma, any student found in possession of a firearm while on any public school property or while in any school bus or other vehicle used by a public school for transportation of students or teachers must be suspended out-of-school for a period of not less than one year, to be determined by the district board of education pursuant to the provisions of this section. The term of the suspension may be modified by the district superintendent on a case-by-case basis.
Finally, no person in lawful possession of a concealed handgun may carry the handgun into or upon any college or university or technology center school property. This prohibition does not limit possession by persons with a valid concealed handgun license from possessing a concealed handgun on any property:
- Set aside for the use or parking of any vehicle, whether attended or unattended, provided the handgun is carried or stored as required by law and the handgun is not removed from the vehicle without the prior consent of the college or university president or technology center school administrator while the vehicle is on any college or university or technology center school property;
- Authorized for possession or use of handguns by college or university or technology center school policy; and
- Authorized by the written consent of the college or university president or technology center school administrator, provided the written consent is carried with the handgun and the valid concealed handgun license while on college or university or technology center school property…
[Editor's note: The Giffords Law Center to Prevent Gun Violence regularly updates its webpages with new data as US gun regulation evolves state by state. For the most up-to-date information on US gun laws, please refer to the Giffords URL below]