Citation(s) from the GunPolicy.org literature library
Giffords Law Center to Prevent Gun Violence. 2021 ‘Minimum Age to Purchase & Possess in Georgia.’ Who Can Have a Gun. San Francisco, CA: Giffords Law Center to Prevent Gun Violence. 12 May
[Editor's note: The Giffords Law Center to Prevent Gun Violence regularly updates its webpages with new data as US gun regulation evolves state by state. For the most up-to-date information on US gun laws, please refer to the Giffords URL below]
Minimum Age to Purchase and Possess in Georgia
Georgia prohibits the possession or control of a handgun by any person under age 18. This prohibition does not apply if the underage person is:
- Attending a hunter education course or a firearms safety course;
- Engaging in practice in the use of a firearm or target shooting at an established range authorized by the governing body of the jurisdiction where such range is located;
- Engaging in an organized competition involving the use of a firearm or participating in or practicing for a performance by an organized non-profit group that uses firearms as a part of such performance;
- Hunting or fishing pursuant to a valid license if such person has in his or her possession a valid hunting or fishing license if required; is engaged in legal hunting or fishing; has permission of the owner of the land on which the activities are being conducted; and the handgun, whenever loaded, is carried only in an open and fully exposed manner; or
- Traveling to or from any of the aforementioned activities, if the handgun is not loaded.
In addition, this prohibition does not apply if the person under age 18 is:
- On real property under the control of his or her parent, legal guardian, or grandparent and who has the permission of the parent or legal guardian to possess a handgun; or
- At his or her residence and possesses a handgun while exercising rights authorized by Georgia provisions regarding the justified use of force against another with the permission of his or her parent or legal guardian.
No person may intentionally, knowingly, or recklessly sell or furnish a handgun to a minor (person under the age of 18 years). However, a parent or legal guardian may permit possession of a handgun by a minor for the purposes specified above.
There is no minimum age requirement to possess rifles and shotguns in Georgia. Federal age restrictions impose stricter limits…