Citation(s) from the GunPolicy.org literature library
South Africa. 2011 ‘Prohibition of Unlicensed Manufacture of Firearms and Ammunition.’ Firearms Control Act 2000 (Act last amended in 2011); Chapter 7, Part 2 (Sections 45, 46), pp. 29-30. Cape Town: Parliament of the Republic of South Africa. 5 December
45. Prohibition of unlicensed manufacture of firearms and ammunition
(1) No person may manufacture any firearm or ammunition without a manufacturer's licence.
(2) A manufacturer may only sell firearms and ammunition to a dealer or to the State, and may export firearms and ammunition subject to section 73 (1).
46. Requirements for manufacturer's licence
(1) A manufacturer's licence may be issued to a person who is a fit and proper person to manufacture firearms or ammunition.
(2) The Registrar may only issue a manufacturer's licence to
(a) a manufacturer of firearms if the firearms are manufactured in a factory registered in terms of the Occupational Health and Safety Act, 1993 (Act 85 of 1993); or
(b) a manufacturer of ammunition if the ammunition is manufactured in a factory licensed in terms of the Explosives Act, 1956 (Act 26 of 1956).