Citation(s) from the GunPolicy.org literature library
Thailand. 2008 ‘A Report on the Implementation of the International Tracing Instrument.’ National Report of Thailand on its Implementation of the United Nations Programme of Action to Prevent, Combat and Eradicate the Illicit Trade in Small Arms and Light Weapons in All Its Aspects (UNPoA); Chapter 1, pp. 1-2. New York, NY: Permanent Mission of Thailand to the United Nations. 1 January
A Report on the Implementation of the International Tracing Instrument
- The Ministry of the Interior of Thailand has its own system of gun marking for imported guns. This system is locally developed and sufficiently accurate for tracing purpose.
- All SALW in the possession of government armed and security forces in Thailand are duly marked. Weapons used by agencies under Ministry of Defense are marked and numbered from producers.
- Thailand has adequate measures to ensure that accurate and comprehensive records are established for all marked SALW with in its territory. For example, the Navy Force of Thailand has developed a good system in keeping record of arms used in the Navy Force which makes it easier to trace. Currently, more than 90,000 items of the arms used in the Navy have already been recorded.
- Thailand has a comprehensive system for compulsory registration of small arms and light weapons and licensing of arms owners. The authorities concerned maintain tight control on this issue.
- On the issue of arms registration, the Department of Provincial Administratlon under the Ministry of the Interior is at present developing the online database system of guns. The central information database will be updated whenever the arms possession and transfer permit is authorised and registered. This system will enable agencies concerned to assess more accurately the level of gun-ownership in the country. However, there are limitations as to the information about the types of weapons which can be registered.
- Thailand has no time limit for keeping records.
[SALW = small arms and light weapons]