Citation(s) from the GunPolicy.org literature library
Tonga. 1968 ‘Licenses How Obtained.’ Chapter 39. Arms and Ammunition Act, 1968 [1988 Revised Edition]; Section 6 (Part III). Nuku'alofa: Legislative Assembly. 29 November
6. Licenses How Obtained
(1) A licence for an arm and ammunition under this Act may be obtained by application made in writing to the Minister of Police accompanied by the prescribed fee subject to the issue thereof being expressly approved by him:
Provided that if, during the licensing period or any part of the licensing period immediately preceding that in which application is made, the applicant has held a licence for the arm and ammunition referred to in the application and such licence has expired and has not been suspended or cancelled, application for the renewal of such licence for the same arm and ammunition may be made verbally or in writing to, and such licence may, except as provided in subsection (2), be renewed by any police officer.
(2) No licence for an arm or ammunition therefor shall be issued or renewed except with the express approval of the Minister of Police.
(3) No licence shall be issued in the name of any partnership, company or corporation.
(4) On an application:
(a) for a licence for an arm by a person who has not previously held a licence under the provisions of subsection (1) of this section; or
(b) to license an arm which has not previously been licensed in the Kingdom,
no licence shall be issued in respect of such arm unless it has first been produced for inspection by the police officer to whom such application is made.
(5) Every licence shall expire on the thirty-first day of December next following the date of issue or renewal.
(6) Every officer who issues, renews or endorses as effective any licence under this Act shall enter particulars thereof in a register to be kept at every police station where such issue, renewal or endorsement takes place.
(7) The Minister of Police may by endorsement thereon require as a condition of any licence that the photograph of the person named in such licence be kept attached thereto, and that the person named therein shall carry on his person such licence whenever carrying the arm in respect of which the same is issued.