Citation(s) from the GunPolicy.org literature library
Miller, Matthew, Catherine Barber, Richard A. White and Deborah Azrael. 2013 ‘Firearms and Suicide in the United States - The Presence of a Gun in the Home Is a Risk Factor for Suicide.’ American Journal of Epidemiology; Vol. 178, No. 6, p. 946. Baltimore MD: Oxford Journals / Oxford University Press. 23 August
Every US case-control study, for example, has found that the presence of a gun in the home is a risk factor for suicide (7–20).
7) Bailey JE, Kellermann AL, Somes GW, et al. Risk factors for violent death of women in the home. Arch Intern Med. 1997;157(7):777–782.
8) Brent DA, Perper J, Moritz G, et al. Suicide in adolescents with no apparent psychopathology. J Am Acad Child Adolesc Psychiatry. 1993;32(3):494–500.
9) Brent DA, Perper JA, Allman CJ, et al. The presence and accessibility of firearms in the homes of adolescent suicides. A case-control study. JAMA. 1991;266(21):2989–2995.
10) Brent DA, Perper JA, Goldstein CE, et al. Risk factors for adolescent suicide. A comparison of adolescent suicide victims with suicidal inpatients. Arch Gen Psychiatry. 1988; 45(6):581–588.
11) Brent DA, Perper JA, Moritz G, et al. Firearms and adolescent suicide. A community case-control study. Am J Dis Child. 1993;147(10):1066–1071.
12) Brent DA, Perper JA, Moritz G, et al. Suicide in affectively ill adolescents: a case-control study. J Affect Disord. 1994; 31(3):193–202.
13) Conwell Y, Duberstein PR, Connor K, et al. Access to firearms and risk for suicide in middle-aged and older adults. Am J Geriatr Psychiatry. 2002;10(4):407–416.
14) Cummings P, Koepsell TD, Grossman DC, et al. The association between the purchase of a handgun and homicide or suicide. Am J Public Health. 1997;87(6): 974–978.
15) Kellermann AL, Rivara FP, Somes G, et al. Suicide in the home in relation to gun ownership. N Engl J Med. 1992; 327(7):467–472.
16) Wiebe DJ. Homicide and suicide risks associated with firearms in the home: a national case-control study. Ann Emerg Med. 2003;41(6):771–782.
17) Shah S, Hoffman RE,Wake L, et al. Adolescent suicide and household access to firearms in Colorado: results of a case-control study. J Adolesc Health. 2000;26(3):157–163.
18) Dahlberg LL, Ikeda RM, Kresnow MJ. Guns in the home and risk of a violent death in the home: findings from a national study. Am J Epidemiol. 2004;160(10):929–936.
19) Kung HC, Pearson JL, Liu X. Risk factors for male and female suicide decedents ages 15–64 in the United States. Results from the 1993 National Mortality Followback Survey. Soc Psychiatry Psychiatr Epidemiol. 2003;38(8):419–426.
20) Kung HC, Pearson JL,Wei R. Substance use, firearm availability, depressive symptoms, and mental health service utilization among white and African American suicide decedents aged 15 to 64 years. Ann Epidemiol. 2005;15(8):614–621.