Citation(s) from the GunPolicy.org literature library

International Commission Against Impunity in Guatemala (CICIG). 2009 ‘Registration (Registro).’ Firearms and Ammunition in Guatemala (Armas de Fuego y Municiones en Guatemala), p. 61. Guatemala City: International Commision against Impunity in Guatemala (Comisión Internacional Contra la Impunidad en Guatemala - CICIG). 1 December

Relevant contents

Registro

Hasta el 23 de septiembre del 2009, según datos oficiales, se encontraban registradas 393.996 armas de fuego: el 91.75% corresponde a armas registradas por particulares y el restante 8.25% a entidades del Estado. Asimismo, el 50% corresponde a pistolas, el 25% a escopetas, 12% rifles, 11% revólveres, el 1% a rifles de asalto y el restante 1% a carabinas.

El 75% de armas registradas, únicamente puede "tenerse" en el lugar de habitación, puesto que solamente posee registro de tenencia … y solamente alrededor del 25% pueden ser portadas. … Para junio del presente año [se han expedido] 75.362 licencias de portación (una misma licencia de portación puede amparar hasta tres armas). … Más del 98% de registro de armas corresponde a los hombres, las mujeres no representan ni el 2% del registro.

++++

Translated content

Registration

According to official data, until 23 September 2009, 393,996 firearms had been registered: 91.75% are firearms registered by individuals and the remaining 8.25% by State agencies. Of the registered firearms, 50% are pistols, 25% shotguns, 12% rifles, 11% revolvers, 1% assault rifles and 1% carbines.

75% of the registered firearms can only be "held" in the dwelling place, since they are only covered by a possession licence… and only about 25% can be carried. … As of June of this year, 75,362 carrying licences [have been issued]. A single carrying licence can cover up to three arms … Over 98% of the guns have been registered to men, and only 2% to women.

ID: Q5467

As many publishers change their links and archive their pages, the full-text version of this article may no longer be available from the original link. In this case, please go to the publisher's web site or use a search engine.